The Language Institute, with interested campus co-sponsors, is launching UW-Madison’s Languages, a new initiative in 2020-21 to:
- raise awareness of the linguistic diversity of our campus and local communities;
- recognize and communicate the value of multilingualism for individuals, communities, and societies;
- promote understanding of language as a key aspect of diversity and raise awareness of linguistic discrimination; and
- promote a more inclusive campus climate in which language is recognized as a key aspect of identity that contributes to the diversity of our campus community.
Why is this important? Download the rationale for the UW-Madison’s Languages initiative.
September 30 Planning Meeting Update
On September 30, 85 people joined in the discussion to set priorities for this initiative. Participants brainstormed issues and areas of interest related to languages, language use, language discrimination and language diversity and possible action steps to take to address these issues. We have compiled ideas and invite you to take the following steps.
Thank you to everyone who responded to the UW-Madison’s Languages poll on priorities and involvement. We are analyzing the responses and will be in touch soon.
If you are interested in participating in a meeting in other languages, please call Cultural Linguistic Services:
Spanish: (608) 265-0838 Hmong: (608) 263-2217 Tibetan: (608) 890-2545 Chinese: (608) 890-2628 Nepali: (608) 262-7521
Translations: Español/Spanish Hmoob/Hmong བོད་ཡིག/Tibetan 中文/Chinese नेपाली/Nepali
Interested in becoming a co-sponsor of this project?
We are interested in collaborating with all interested campus partners on this initiative! If your unit would like to participate as a formal co-sponsor (no financial contributions are required), or if you would like more information about this project, please contact Dianna Murphy or Kristin Dalby. Below is an ever-growing list of this initiative’s co-sponsors.
Subscribe to email updates
If you would like to receive updates about this project, please email Kristin Dalby or follow these steps:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Within a minute or two, you’ll receive an email that includes steps to confirm your membership.
- Log into your UW-Madison G Suite account, not your personal Google account, to complete the steps provided in the membership email.
Please contact Kristin Dalby if you have any problems joining the G-group.