About the program
The Language Institute is pleased to be able to offer small grants to support innovation to strengthen or enhance language teaching and learning at UW-Madison. Awards are in the range of $500-$1,000.
Funded activities must take place in the 2020-21 academic year or in Summer 2021.
2020-21 areas of emphasis
In 2020-21, the grant will prioritize awards for projects that address one or both of the following areas of emphasis:
- Diversity and inclusion in language education
- Remote delivery of high-quality language and culture instruction
5:00 pm, October 1, 2020
5:00 pm, February 15, 2021
UW-Madison faculty or academic staff who teach language courses, coordinate language programs, or provide advising for students studying languages at UW-Madison.
Supported activities and allowable expenses
This grant could be used to:
- Hire student hourly employees to help with your project
- Purchase supplies or services that you need to carry out your project
- Pay for room rentals, AV or catering at an event
The grant cannot be used for travel, or for faculty or academic staff summer or other salary.
All proposed expenses must follow university policies and guidelines for purchasing and payroll. Individuals applying for the grant are strongly encouraged to make an appointment to meet with Language Institute accountant Skender Jahiu, for a review of their proposed budget before submitting it with the application.
Applications will be reviewed by a committee as soon as possible after each application deadline. The committee will consider the following in reviewing applications and making decisions on awards:
- Fit with the 2020-21 areas of emphasis
- Potential to positively impact language teaching and learning at UW-Madison
- Quality and feasibility of the proposal
Questions about this Language Institute Grant? Contact Jana Martin: email@example.com
Funding for this program is from the International Division and the Language Institute.