Academic Staff Grants
Apply by October 15, 2017!
About the program
The Language Institute is very pleased to announce the 2017-18 grant program to support professional development activities by academic staff in Van Hise departments of languages, literatures and cultures.
Activities must take place between September 1, 2017-December 31, 2018. Anticipated awards are for up to $1,000 each.
Applicants must be academic staff (i.e., with titles such as Faculty Associate, Lecturer, Advisor, Administrative Program Specialist, or Student Services Coordinator) who hold at least a 33% appointment in one the following departments in 2017-18:
- African Cultural Studies
- Asian Languages and Cultures
- Classics and Ancient Near Eastern Languages
- Comparative Literature and Folklore Studies
- French and Italian
- German, Nordic, and Slavic
- Language Institute
- L&S Learning Support Services
- Spanish and Portuguese
Academic staff who teach a language for UW-Madison credit in a department other than those listed above may also be eligible to apply for this grant! Contact Dianna Murphy, email@example.com.
Supported professional development activities and allowable expenses
This grant is intended to support academic staff professional development, broadly defined. Possible professional development activities, which could be related to teaching, research, or other aspects of your position, might include:
- Conference or research travel (allowable expenses include airfare/mileage, lodging, meals, conference registration)
- Professional development workshops or institutes (allowable expenses include airfare/mileage, lodging, meals, workshop registration)
- Supplies for research (allowable expenses include books and software; the grant is not intended to purchase computer hardware or office supplies)
- Student hourly support for research
The grant does not support academic staff salary or enrollment in credit-bearing courses.
All proposed expenses must follow university policies and guidelines for travel, purchasing, payroll, etc. Individuals applying for the grant are encouraged to make an appointment to meet with Language Institute financial specialist Malliga Somasundaram, firstname.lastname@example.org, for a review of their proposed budget, before submitting it with an application.
- 5:00 pm, October 15, 2017
- 5:00 pm, February 15, 2018
These deadlines were set so that applicants will receive notice of awards in time to use the awards as matching funds for applications to the campus-wide Academic Staff Professional Development Grant.
Applications will be reviewed by a committee as soon as possible after each application deadline. The committee will consider the following in reviewing applications and making decisions on awards:
- Relevance of the activity to the individual’s position
- For conference travel, active participation in the conference (e.g., by giving a paper)
- Need for professional development support (with priority consideration given to proposals from academic staff that have no other forms of funding for professional development activities and who did not receive this grant in the previous year)
- Potential for impact (for your work, your program, and/or the university)
- Overall quality of the application
Campus academic staff professional development grant
Recipients of Language Institute grants can use their award as matching funds for the campus-wide Academic Staff Professional Development Grant, if their activity meets the campus program’s criteria.
Please note that not all of the activities that the Language Institute grant supports are eligible for the campus Academic Staff Professional Development Grant, and the eligibility and evaluation criteria for the two grants is different. Individuals applying to the Academic Staff Professional Development Grant should make sure to follow closely that program’s guidelines.
For detailed information about the Academic Staff Professional Development Grant, see: http://acstaff.wisc.edu/professional-development/grants/academic-staff-professional-development-grants
Contact: Questions about this Language Institute Grant? Contact Dianna Murphy: email@example.com, 262-1473.
Sponsors: Funding for this program is from the International Division and the Language Institute.
Previous award recipients
- Marcus Cederstrom (Department of German, Nordic, and Slavic), 2017 Conference of the American Folklore Society
- Funda Derin (Department of German, Nordic, and Slavic), 2016 Conference of the American Association of Teachers of Turkish and the Middle East Studies Association
- Nete Schmidt (Department of German, Nordic, and Slavic), 2017 Danish American Heritage Conference
- Rachel Weiss (Department of Asian Languages and Cultures), 2017 Career Development Facilitator (CDF) Training
- Erlin Barnard, Department of Languages and Cultures of Asia, 2015 Annual Convention of the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages
- Kannikar Elbow, Department of Languages and Cultures of Asia, 2015 UC-Berkeley workshop and site visit
- Stasie Harrington, Department of Spanish and Portuguese, 2016 Annual Convention of the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages
- Todd Michelson-Ambeling, Department of Scandinavian Studies, 2016 Society for the Advancement of Scandinavian Study Conference
- Takako Nakakubo, Department of East Asian Languages and Literature, 2016 Canadian Association for Japanese Language Education Conference
- Barbara Rodriguez-Guridi, Department of Spanish and Portuguese, 2016 Northeast Modern Language Association Conference
- Anna Tumarkin, Department of Slavic Languages and Literature, Research study on heritage student perceptions of native and non-native speaker instructors of Russian
- Steel Wagstaff, L&S Learning Support Services, 2015 Open Education Conference
- Erlin Barnard, Department of Languages and Cultures of Asia, 2014 Annual Convention of the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- Funda Derin, Department of Languages and Cultrues of Asia, 2014 meeting of the Association of American Teachers of Turkic (AATT) Languages, held in conjunction with the Middle East Studies Association (MESA) meeting
- Kannikar Elbow, Department of Languages and Cultures of Asia, 2015 Council on the Teaching of Southeast Asian Languages (COTSEAL) Conference and UC-Berkeley campus visit
- Ryan Engel, L&S Learning Support Services, 2015 North American Drupal Convention
- Stasie Harrington, Department of Spanish and Portuguese, 2015 meeting of the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- Choua Lee, Department of Languages and Cultures of Asia, 2015 Chicago Language Symposium or Hmong National Development Conference
- Takako Nakakubo, Department of East Asian Languages and Literature, 2015 meeting of the American Association of Teachers of Japanese (AATJ)
- Jeanne Schueller, Department of German, 2015 Goethe Institut summer seminar in Munich on teaching literature and film in German as a Foreign Language (DaF) courses