Bylaws for the UW-Madison Language Institute
Approved March 12, 2014
ARTICLE I. MISSION
The University of Wisconsin-Madison Language Institute (LI) fosters and promotes collaboration for research, education, and community outreach in world languages, literatures, and cultures.
ARTICLE II. ADMINISTRATIVE CONTEXT
The College of Letters & Science (L&S) is the managing campus division for the LI. L&S employs LI staff, supports its core operations, and provides space in an appropriate campus location. L&S is the primary college through which LI external grants are managed.
The Division of International Studies (DIS) serves as a liason to foster support and activities across the campus and with area and international studies programs of the International Institute. The DIS provides an annual contribution for LI staff and activities, which is used at the discretion of the LI Director.
ARTICLE III. MEMBER PROGRAMS
The LI engages in a range of activites in support of its mission; it also serves as the administrative home for undergraduate and graduate academic programs. Those member programs have their own internal leadership and governance structures.
Proposals for new member programs are considered by the LI Administrative Council.
ARTICLE IV. GOVERNANCE
- Director. The Deans of the L&S and DIS confer on possible candidates for the Directorship of the LI prior to any appointment, which will be made by the L&S Dean in consultation with the DIS Dean. The appointment will be confirmed in writing in a letter signed by both deans. The Director reports to the Dean of L&S, through the L&S Associate Dean for the Arts and Humanities. The LI director prepares an annual report on LI activities and accomplishments.
- Associate Director. Reports to the Director. An academic staff member with supervisory responsibility for designated staff.
- Assistant Director. Reports to the Associate Director. An academic staff member with supervisory responsibility for designated staff.
- Administrative Council. The Administrative Council (AC) is comprised of the Director (chair), Associate Director, Assistant Director, and one representative from each member program (typically the Director or Chair). The AC coordinates activities across the member programs and consider proposals for new member programs. TheAC makes recommendations on budget matters, which are transmitted through the director to the L&S Dean. The AC has the power to review and make recommendations concerning the appointment, recruitment, non-retention, dismissal, promotion, appointment to indefinite status, or salary of academic and classified staff and other persons appointed within the LI. The AC may, by annual vote, delegate to the LI Director the authority to make recommendations with respect to any or all of the following matters: salaries; non-faculty personnel actions; equipment and supplies.
- Advisory Committee. The Advisory Committee consists of 6-8 faculty and academic staff. The Advisory Committee provides broad oversight of the LI’s activities and input on future directions.
F. Budget. Budget. The LI Administrative Council confers budget authority to the LI Director at the beginning of each academic year. All expenditures must be approved by majority vote of the Administrative Council. This rule does not apply to small expenditures not exceeding $250 or to the purchase of office supplies.
ARTICLE V. AMENDMENTS TO THE BYLAWS
The bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds majority vote of the Administrative Council.