The University of Wisconsin-Madison is pleased to announce the inaugural STARTALK Korean Language & Culture Academy for High School Students
June 26 - July 28, 2017
Please note that the Korean Language & Culture Academy is no longer accepting applications for the summer 2017 program.
The new, 5-week summer UW-Madison STARTALK Korean Language & Culture Academy is a non-residential program for high school students interested in exploring Korean language and culture. Through engaging, interactive learning activities, students will learn to communicate in Korean while exploring Korean cultural practices and traditions. No prior knowledge or experience with Korean is required or expected!
Thanks to federal funding from STARTALK, the program will be offered at no cost to participants.
Classes will be taught by experienced UW-Madison instructors of Korean language, with special workshops led by experts in Korean martial arts, cooking, dance, and drumming.
About the program: High school student participants in the Korean Language and Culture Academy will:
- Learn Korean language through highly interactive activities. Language learning will be integrated with exploration of rich and exciting aspects of Korean culture.
- Explore traditional and modern Korean culture through hands-on workshops in martial arts, cooking, dance, and drumming.
- Learn about teen life in Korea first-hand by videoconferencing with “K-buddy” peers in Korea.
- Travel to Chicago’s Korea Town to experience Korean dining and interact in Korean with locals.
- Explore the global phenomenon of Korean popular culture, including K-pop and television dramas.
- Synthesize learning through creative final video projects.
Faculty: The Academy will be directed by Dr. Byung-Jin Lim, associate professor of Korean in UW-Madison Department of Asian Languages and Cultures at UW-Madison. Instructors are experienced teachers of Korean for the UW-Madison Korean Language Program in the Department of Asian Languages & Cultures.
Program schedule: June 26 - July 28, 2017, Monday-Friday, 9am-1:45pm (excluding July 3-4)
Eligibility: High school students (grades 9-12) with no or limited proficiency in Korean. (Interested students with prior experience with Korean should contact the program to determine eligibility.)
Fees: The program will be offered at no cost to participants. The program plans to offer Madison Metro bus passes to interested students, as needed. Participants will need to supply their own lunches.
Location: The program will take place on the UW-Madison campus.
Application: Due April 17. (We are no longer taking applications at this time.)
Sign up for our email list: Sign up for our email list to receive communications about the program.
The UW-Madison Korean Language and Culture Academy is a program of the Department of Asian Languages and Cultures and the Language Institute.