The Language Institute and Wisconsin Summer Language Institutes (WISLI) are pleased to host the 2019 ACTFL Proficiency and Performance Summer Institute on the UW-Madison campus. The institute consists of two workshops, the 4-day OPI Assessment Workshop and the 2-day Writing Proficiency Test Rater Training Workshop. Both workshops will take place at the Memorial Union on the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus.
This four-day workshop will introduce the ACTFL rating scale, the structure of the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) and techniques of administering and rating the OPI, including its applications in the language classroom. Participants will observe and conduct live practice interviews across all proficiency levels (Novice through Superior). Participation in this Full OPI Assessment Workshop is the first step toward becoming an ACTFL Certified OPI Tester with Full Certification.
Separate sections of the OPI workshop are planned for:
- English for ELLs (English Language Learners)
- Less Commonly Taught Languages/Mixed Languages
Fee: $950 (Early bird)/$975 (Regular). ACTFL member: $850 (Early bird)/$875 (Regular)
The Writing Proficiency Test (WPT) Rater Training Workshop will introduce participants to the ACTFL Writing Scale and the protocol for rating the ACTFLWPT at all levels of proficiency. Participants will become familiar with the assessment criteria for writing, the structure of the WPT, and will gain practice in applying the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines 2012—Writing to the rating of samples in their target language (if available). Following the workshop, participants will be eligible to apply for Full WPT Rater certification. This workshop is for English/Mixed Languages.
Fee: $500 (Early bird)/$525 (Regular). ACTFL Member: $400 (Early bird)/$425 (Regular)
For Workshop Participants
Congratulations to the recipients of the Summer 2019 Language Institute grants for the ACTFL OPI and WPT Workshops!
- Giosue Alagna, Spanish and Portuguese (WPT; Spanish, Italian)
- Muhammad Asif, Asian Languages and Cultures (OPI; Urdu)
- Denise Castillo, Spanish and Portuguese (OPI; Spanish)
- Chen Chen, German, Nordic, and Slavic (OPI; German)
- Julie Dahl, Division of Continuing Studies (OPI; Spanish)
- Hong Dinh, Asian Languages and Cultures (OPI; Vietnamese)
- Nalan Erbil-Erkan, German, Nordic, and Slavic (OPI; Turkish)
- Michael Griffin, Spanish and Portuguese (OPI; Spanish)
- Jared Hendrickson, Spanish and Portuguese (OPI; Portuguese)
- Brandon Killby, Asian Languages and Cultures (OPI; Japanese)
- Carlos Andrés Rojas, Spanish and Portuguese (OPI; Spanish)
- Kazeem Sanuth, Doctoral Program in Second Language Acquisition (OPI; Yoruba)
- Nikhil Tiwari, Asian Languages and Cultures (OPI; Hindi)
- Jolanda Vanderwal Taylor, German, Nordic, and Slavic (OPI; Dutch)
- Weihua Zhu, Asian Languages and Cultures (OPI; Chinese)