Application deadline for the 2020-21 grant program has passed.
The Language Institute is very pleased to announce the 2021-22 grant program to support professional development activities by academic staff in Van Hise departments of languages, literatures, and cultures.
The grant is intended to support professional development activities that align with the mission of the Language Institute.
5:00 pm, October 1, 2021
5:00 pm, February 15, 2022
Dates and anticipated awards
Activities must take place between September 1, 2021-December 31, 2022. Anticipated awards are for up to $750 each.
Applicants must be academic staff (i.e., with titles such as Faculty Associate, Lecturer, Advisor, Administrative Program Specialist, or Student Services Coordinator) who hold at least a 33% appointment in one the following departments in 2021-22:
- African Cultural Studies
- Asian Languages and Cultures
- Classical and Ancient Near Eastern Studies
- French & Italian
- German, Nordic, and Slavic
- Language Institute
- Language Sciences Program
- L&S Learning Support Services
- Spanish & Portuguese
Graduate Teaching Assistants and visiting scholars are not eligible for this grant program.
Supported activities and allowable expenses
This grant is intended to support academic staff professional development, broadly defined, that aligns with the mission of the Language Institute. Possible professional development activities, which could be related to teaching, research, or other aspects of your position, might include:
- Conference or research travel (allowable expenses include airfare/mileage, lodging, meals, conference registration). Important! If travel is restricted in 2021-22, the grant can still be used to support participation in virtual conferences or workshops.
- Professional development workshops or institutes (allowable expenses include airfare/mileage, lodging, meals, workshop registration)
- Supplies for research (allowable expenses include books and software; the grant is not intended to purchase computer hardware or office supplies)
- Student hourly support for research
The grant does not support academic staff salary or enrollment in credit-bearing courses.
Applicants should use the budget template to prepare and submit their budget, following the guidelines in the template. Individuals applying for the grant are strongly encouraged to make an appointment to meet with Language Institute accountant Skender Jahiu for a review of their proposed budget before submitting it with an application.
Applications will be reviewed by a committee as soon as possible after each application deadline. The committee will consider the following in reviewing applications and making decisions on awards:
- Relevance of the activity to the individual’s position and to the mission of the Language Institute
- For conferences, active participation in the conference (e.g., by giving a paper)
- Need for professional development support (with priority consideration given to proposals from academic staff that have no other forms of funding for professional development activities and who did not receive this grant in the previous year)
- Potential for impact (for your work, your program, and/or the university)
- Overall quality of the application
Campus academic staff professional development grant
Recipients of Language Institute grants can use their award as matching funds for the campus-wide Academic Staff Professional Development Grant, if their activity meets the campus program’s criteria.
Detailed information about the Academic Staff Professional Development Grant is here.
Questions about this Language Institute Grant? Contact Jana Martin: email@example.com, 890-4585.
Funding for this program is from the International Division and the Language Institute.
Spring 2021 Grant Recipients
Krzysztof Borowski, Department of German, Nordic, and Slavic+, to participate in the Spring 2021 online ACTFL OPI 4-day Assessment Workshop
Vanessa Schmitz-Siebertz, Department of Classical and Ancient Near Eastern Languages, to participate in the 2021 online American Classical League 74th Annual Institute Summer Workshop
Muhammad Asif, Department of Asian Languages and Cultures, to participate in the 2021 Online OPI familiarization workshop organized by NCOLCTL
Choua Lee, Department of Asian Languages and Cultures, to participate in the 2021 Online OPI familiarization workshop organized by NCOLCTL
Jampa Khedup, Department of Asian Languages and Cultures, to participate in the 2021 Online OPI familiarization workshop organized by NCOLCTL
Zara Chowdhary, Department of Asian Languages and Cultures, to participate in the 2021 Online OPI familiarization workshop organized by NCOLCTL